Monday, May 17, 2010

A birth story

So I was watching the pregnancy and birth stories that were on TLC tonight and they deserve some reflection just on their own, but the inspiration behind this post is my upcoming 27th birthday.

My birthday always stirs up mixed emotions. For one, I am slowly getting to the point in life where an individual does not enjoy getting older and wishes that they could be 25 forever. On the other hand, it marks another year of growth that deserves celebration.

I was taught the lesson that life is precious from day one. This is due to the fact that I almost died at birth. I was born approx. three months prior to my due date coming in at barely two pounds. The joke now is that I was in a rush to make my mark on the world and that I if I was aware of the rollercoaster ride that life on the outside could be that maybe I would have stayed in there a little longer.

It was complicated and my odds were not good. Preterm labour that resulted in a c-section, long period of sepration and a rush to The Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto for treatment. Difficult decisions were made around life or death issues. At some point I was given too much oxygen which later resulted in a diagnosis of Cerebral Palsy. The cool kids call it CP for short. The doctors said I may never walk and talk. I walk just fine with the help of some assistive devices and I have a college diploma and two social work degrees to my name, so the message here is that doctors are sometimes wrong!

I am grateful for my life given the alternative I was presented with. Life with a disability can definately sometimes be a challenge, but unlike what some might think when they look at me, I do not consider it the gratest obstacle I have faced in my life. CP can present in different ways and can vary in severity. Mine specifically falls in a mild to moderate catergory and mostly affects my lower limbs. I do not want to use too much medical jargon. It is the inaccessibility of buildings, a lack of information and people's perceptions about what it is like to live with a disability that is often the most challenging to deal with. Yes, there are unqiue issues that may arise, but those can be managed.

I did not always talk about my disability is the way I do now and sometimes I do wish I could wake up and find that it no longer exists. I think it is only human to feel that way from time to time. On the other hand, it has given me a unique way in which to see the world, has motivated me and probually inspired some of my most valued relationships. So in those realities, I am finding acceptance.

So with that all being said, here is a website for your reference about CP and related topics that has aided me in my own learning. I would encourage you to glance at it and seek out additional information..

Thanks for reading!

Ontario Federation for Cerebral Palsy
http://www.ofcp.on.ca/

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Melissa. You'd better believe you proved those doctors wrong my friend! I look forward to more of your words here.

    ReplyDelete