Monday, August 16, 2010

Realities

Someone recently said to me in a spiritual context that being born to earth is a hard undertaking...that it takes a strong person...

The last 24 hours have been a harsh reminder of that statement and you have to consider the truth in it when you think of what some have to endure when they finally get here...war, cancer, violence...the list is endless.

I was raised to believe that we are only handed in life what 'God' thinks we can handle. I don't believe that much anymore, as life, experience and growth have taught me that sometimes people find themselves in less than ideal situations due to things, structures, rules, perceptions...etc that are beyond their control despite their best efforts to create something beautiful for themselves. For instance, I take issue with the fact that according to some 'God' believes so many of us can cope with varying degrees of poverty in our lives. We then make choices as a result of these situations we find ourselves in and sometimes they are not the best. However, before we judge someone for their choices we should consider their realities, realize the fact that there is something really messed up about the society we live in, help them make better choices (assuming another possibility is available) and work to make this place an easier place to live.

This is not to say that we should not take responsibility for our choices, it's just not that simple sometimes is all.

Its been a long day and hopefully this makes some sense. This post is simply a way for me to reflect on these reminders I have been given in an indirect way and process the feelings within me. Specifics do not matter now, only positive outcomes.

As for me specifically and in way to end this entry on somewhat of a positive note, this world is hard to live in at times, but I am now grateful for some of the lessons I have learned as a result of my own realities. I am grateful for the people in my life who help make things a little easier, who remind me of my purpose and fill me with love and light, especially in those moments when I need it most.

No comments:

Post a Comment